In many companies the network has been configured for Windows PC’s to connect to a local server for Microsoft Updates. Usually running Windows Server Updates Server or WSUS for short.
If it [WSUS] has an issue and updates aren’t being pulled down, but you need to update a PC urgently, then you can do the following to turn off WSUS for that PC, which will then permit you to get updates directly from Microsoft Servers.
1. Click Windows key + R to open Run and type regedit and press Enter.
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
3. Change the key UseWUServer from 1 to 0
4. Restart the Windows Update service
5. Run Windows Update and it should connect and downloads start.
If this article helped you or if you have further suggestions, please feel free to comment below. 🙂