If we have a User in our Domain who recently got married or you ever fat fingered a user’s name but didn’t notice until the user tried to login with their actual name?
Well these are steps for you:
Changes in Active Directory:
- 1. Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
- 2. Navigate to the Employees Organizational Unit (OU).
- 3. Right-click on the Name of the Employee for the name change and select Rename.
- 4. Rename the Employee.
- 5. Rename User dialog box appears:
- a. Full Name should be correct.
- b. First Name should be correct.
- c. Last Name should be changed to the new Last Name.
- d. Display Name will changed in the above step.
- e. User Logon Name should be changed to the new Last Name.
- f. User Logon name (pre-Windows 2000) will be changed in the above step.
Changes in Exchange:
- 1. Open Exchange Management Console.
- 2. Under Recipient Configuration click on Mailbox to view all user mailboxes.
- 3. Right click the employee name and select Properties.
- 4. In the General Tab:
- a. Change the Alias to match username changed in Active Directory Users and computers.
- b. Click Apply button.
- 5. In the E-Mail Addresses Tab:
- a. SMTP Address with the new name should be bold.
- b. Highlight the old address, right click and select remove.
- c. Click Apply Button, then OK.
- 6. Update the Offline Address Book, navigate to Organization Configuration and select Mailbox.
- 7. Select the Offline Address Book Tab.
- 8. Right click on the Default Offline Address Book select Update.
- 9. Click Yes in the dialog box.
That should do it for both Active Directory and Exchange.